SEARCH WORKSHOP EVALUATION
WORKSHOPS
 
Scientist-Educator Collaborative Workshop
Workshop Evaluation
Held at the Darling Marine Center in Walpole, ME
Friday, November 22, 2008 through Saturday, November 23, 2008
The quantitative and qualitative information we receive through the workshop applications and evaluations is extremely important to our work here at COSEE-OS. Each successive workshop evolves in response to the feedback we receive from the participants.

Before the workshop, we collected a wide array of information about the participants, including background information. Following the workshop, participants completed evaluations that asked them to rate a number of areas such as the effectiveness of the multimedia tools, their learning of the science content, and the effectiveness of concept mapping.

Graph
One of our key goals is to foster high-quality interactions between scientists and educators. Rather than let participants self select their teams, we "match make" educators using Ocean & Climate Literacy principles as our framework.

The Informal Scientist-Educator Climate Change workshop was made up of educators from Maine, Massachusetts and New York currently working in a variety of settings.

In the evaluations given to educators after the workshop, all the participants said that the workshop met (86%) or mostly met (14%) their expectations. Below is a summary of how participants felt about the overall organization and other components of the workshop.

The reactions were very positive. In fact, 100% of the 14 participants said that the amount of new experiences, interactions with colleagues and amount of fun and enjoyment were just right. More than 80% of participants said that the pacing and length were 'just right,' with a few mentioning that it was too short (14%) or too fast (7%). When asked about the amount of new learning and new content, 36% mentioned that it was 'not enough' and the remainder (64%) answered that it was 'just right'.

When asked if the amount of time they had to interact with scientists was enough, the responses were split. Half of the educators thought they had just the right amount of time with scientists, the other half wished that they'd had a bit more.

Workshop participants
Quotes from Workshop Participants

"This was extremely fun and I enjoyed being around people who are excited about this type of science. It is a rare opportunity!"

"Awesome interactions all around."

"This was a great success and a wonderful illustration [of] how scientists and educators can actually collaborate as colleagues to create a...product for educating students on a very complex subject. Well done COSEE-OS team!! Let's do it again!!"