Specific Objectives & Strategies
Collectively, the four COSEE Centers involved have six objectives and strategies for meeting these objectives:
- Objective 1 - Enlighten researchers and grad students about science literacy campaigns. Strategy - Use Ocean Literacy (OL) and Climate Literacy (CL) as a framework for "match-making" researchers and grad students.
- Objective 2 - Expose participants to a meta-cognitive technique used by many educators. Strategy - Train researchers on concept mapping (and grad students, if needed).
- Objective 3 - Provide better insight into how scientists view ocean-climate connections for use in teaching (informal or formal). Strategy - Showcase COSEE science content knowledge through online maps.
- Objective 4 - Grad students help researchers understand the needs of undergraduates. Strategy - Grad students give feedback on researchers' maps aimed at college freshmen not majoring in science.
- Objective 5 - Build relationships between potential Ph.D. advisors (e.g., USC and UCLA faculty) and non-traditional Master's students (e.g., Cal State University graduate students). Strategy - Provide a framework for discussing science in a creative atmosphere with the potential to continue collaboration using on-line tools.
- Objective 6 - Help young research faculty improve their NSF "Broader Impact" statements and provide graduate students with new avenues to apply their outreach training. Strategy - Pair young faculty (e.g., CAREER grant applicants) with COSEE-trained graduate students (e.g., COSIA graduates, GK-12 fellows) to develop/share outreach skills